- What’s wrong with my AC if I see steam coming out?
What you’re seeing is water vapor which is the hot air colliding with the cold air outside. It’s not a problem.
- Why is there water leaking from the outside unit of my AC?
Condensation is the process of turning water vapor back to a liquid which is what happens inside an AC. The water it produces is channelled to the AC’s drainage system to be flushed out. Other than cleaning out the drainage pan when it accumulates water. There is nothing to worry about really. Find out more why aircon leaks water.
- Why do I keep smelling a bad odor from our air-conditioner?
Bad odor is caused by the mold and mildew found inside your AC. This accumulates bacteria which causes the smell. It would be best for you to call your aircon service provider to investigate what’s causing it.
- Is it possible for me to heat or cool two rooms with a single AC unit?
It’s only really effective if you have a multi-split type airconditioning system installed. People try it by connecting rooms through a window or an exhaust fan. However, hot air continuously gets trapped near where the connection of rooms is which will ultimately restrict the airflow from one room to another.
- What’s the recommended temperature setting for air-conditioners?
The temperature range we would suggest is between 22 – 24 degrees. You’d go for 22 during the cold winter time. You can set to 24 during the hot days of summer. There is an estimated 10% increase of energy when you go over the recommended temperature.
- How does the reverse cycle in an AC work?
The reverse cycle is part of the refrigeration system of your AC unit. It facilitates the change of direction of the refrigerant gas when it passes through your AC’s system. When your AC is cooling, the hot air inside is pumped out, and when you’re heating the hot air outside is pumped in. It also helps balance the humidity in the air by removing the moisture from the air inside your room. There is also the fan mode which helps circulate and clean the air during mild days.
- How many times should I get my air conditioner serviced by a professional?
We recommend regularly servicing aircon to keep your unit as energy efficient as possible.
- For filters, we recommend using a hose to clean both sides at least once every quarter of a year.
- You should also check your outdoor unit to keep it clean and remove any obstructions
- A blocked aircon passage causes it to consume more energy making it less energy efficient. You can call us if you want a good air-conditioner maintenance plan. We also offer consultations so that we can teach you about the basics of aircon maintenance.
- What is the mechanism behind inverter technology in ACs?
Inverter technology is a relatively new and more efficient system widely used in air-conditioners nowadays. The technology allows the air-conditioner to maintain ideal room temperatures, quickly reach the desired temperature, and quiet operation. Our company recommends Daikin inverter air-conditioners with their quality air-conditioning systems.
- What house design would be best for my air-conditioner to get the most comfort and energy-saving?
We recommend several different ways you can design your house to be environmentally-friendly and energy-saving for any air-conditioner.
- Roof eaves should be wide enough for your home.
- Lighter colors on your roof are better than dark-colored ones such as charcoal.
- Glass double glazing is recommended for your windows. It facilitates lower heat loss for better cooling.
- The insulation for your roof, ceiling, or framing has an R rating. Get the high rated materials that fits your budget because they’re more energy-efficient.
- Whirlybirds on the roof are a new design to facilitate air circulation for homes.
- The lights you use in your home could really help you reduce the energy used up every day.
- Select the right window treatments such as blinds, awnings, tint, and curtains.
- Planting a tree provides good shade for your home. You can also beautify your landscape with greenery to help create a cooler environment.
- Research about the energy-efficient products found online.
- How is regular aircon servicing advantageous to me?
Getting a regular maintenance schedule for your air-conditioner means that you’ll be benefitting from cooler homes, reduced risk for leaks, and lower energy consumption. It also significantly extends the service life of your AC.
- Why do air-conditioners require a chemical wash or chemical cleaning?
Chemical cleaning helps to clean your air-conditioner thoroughly. There are times when the regular cleaning service won’t be enough because of the hard, accumulated dirt and materials in your AC. Using chemical cleaning agents to clean every individual component should be done.
- Why is dismantling the fan coil unit before chemical washing/cleaning better than just getting a water tray and inserting it inside to wash the chemicals away?
We advise this method because it allows the technician to clean every part of your AC. You get a cleaner aircon as a result because each part was cleaned. Aside from that you lower the risk of chemical residue inside which also reduces the corrosion on your fan’s coil.
- Give me the advantages of an Air Purifying Filter. How many times should I replace it in a year?
The latest air-conditioners have an air purifying filter installed. The filter helps in getting rid of bad smells, potentially harmful particles in the air, and other pollutants that might get stuck in the unit. We advise you to replace this filter 2 – 4 times a year depending on your location. You should check the filter’s color because it will show a sign that it needs replacement. Dark brown to black would be a good bet that it needs replacement.
- What causes the ice formations on the copper pipes of the external condensing unit?
A low level of refrigerant gas in your system will result in the formation of ice. Another reason would be a dirty fan coil which could result in ice formations on the pipe as well.
- Why does my air-conditioning switch on and switch off on its own?
It is highly likely that your air-conditioners electronic circuit board is malfunctioning. The ECB manages the fan coil unit inside your AC. Once it’s damaged, your AC loses control of its operation causing the problem. A technician should look at your circuit board and try to fix or replace it to correct the problem.
- What signs should I look out for before calling for repairs?
An air-conditioner that’s operating with an unusual noice or emitting a bad smell should be checked out right away. You should also monitor its ability to control temperature, or if it’s blowing warm air, or you electricity bill rising despite no change in usage of the air-conditioner.
- Should I be placing my plant near the external unit of my AC?
We don’t advise plants to be grown around the unit. However, if you need to, we suggest that you give ample space between the plant and the outdoor unit to avoid blocking the air flow. You also avoid getting plant material from getting stuck in the unit.
Aircon Installation Questions
- What materials are used by AC technicians to install air-conditioning units?
Professional AC technicians bring with them copper tubes, insulators, wires, PVC pipes and cases when they install a unit.
- How do you differentiate between a window-type, split type, and multi-split type airconditioner?
- Window-type units are installed on the walls of homes with a single housing for all its parts. You don’t need to create pipe connections. In general, the window-type is the noisiest among the three because of the design.
- Split-type units have both an indoor and outdoor unit installed in your home. You will find the fan coil housed inside the indoor unit. This is responsible for cooling the temperature in your room. Inside the outdoor unit is the AC’s condenser. Its main function is to disperse the heat. These two parts are connected via a pipe connection built during installation.
- Multi-split types can be classified under the split-type model, but the condenser is connected to two or more indoor units. The condenser is responsible for cooling multiple rooms.
- In your opinion, what AC brand is the most popular or is known for being the most durable?
We have encountered all types and makes of air-conditioners which is why we can say that there are brands who are more reliable than others. Customers who seek advice on this would be directed to the brands we know are reliable based on our extensive experience. Panasonic, Daikin, and Mitsubishi Electric are what we commonly suggest to our customers. We know that these units were built through quality engineering and if ever you get a bad draw where you picked a unit that’s faulty rest assured that it was just a string of bad luck for you and not common for this brand.
- Give me the estimated number of days for a complete air-conditioning system installation?
Aircon installations usually take one day for a standard flat in the city. The duration of an installation job in offices and commercial spaces will vary depending on the number of units to be installed as well as the level of difficulty encountered by technicians during the installation process. Common problems such as: (a) inaccessible installation location, (b) location height, (c) requirement of the project regarding wiring and pipes.Our installation team is instructed to finish all installation jobs in a day whenever possible. Our company sends enough men to help complete the installation job quickly. This practice has allowed us to shorten the time it takes to finish the installation process. It’s especially convenient for residential customers because we don’t bother them with our work which is why they prefer our company over others.
- What do you buy? A brand new AC unit or a newly-overhauled unit?
People who are moving into a new home would prefer a new air-conditioner over a re-conditioned one. But, this all depends on a budget of the client. There is also the usage factor where transient individuals would prefer a re-conditioned air-conditioner because they are only renting the place for a few months. AC owners sell air-conditioners after using it for a while for a variety of reasons. Buyers are keen to buy those units because they know that these are still fully-functioning units. The important thing to remember is the unit can deliver cool air to the room as it’s supposed to.
- When is the best time to buy a new air-conditioner for our home or office?
An air-conditioning unit that has seen regular operation for an estimated seven years would be likely to need a major repair job. This might equal the price of a new air-conditioner which means it might be more practical to buy a new one than repairing the old one. Older units tend to require more maintenance work, can’t cool the room like it used to, and might be less energy efficient than a brand new air-conditioner.
- Is it possible for me to buy a new external unit without touching the old interior unit we have?
It is possible for you to replace your outdoor unit without changing the indoor units installed in your home or office. But, be mindful of a possible mismatch because it might lead to inefficiency in operations. The refrigerant gas used up by the new unit might not be the same as the system installed inside the indoor unit which means you won’t be able to operate the AC system. We advise that you replace the whole system entirely if you need to swap out outdoor units because you avoid any inefficiency.
- What does a brand-new AC provide regarding energy bill savings?
This is a guarantee. It is estimated that a decade old unit would be 60 per cent less efficient than the standard unit during the same period. Today’s models are more energy efficient, cooling space with a lot less electricity, which means you have low operating cost.
- Would it be better for me to buy a more powerful unit compared to the one I’m about to replace?
Not always the case. While it’s true that a much larger unit has more capacity it might not be what your room or space might require. Only consider a bigger unit if the older unit you’re replacing was mismatched to your room in the first place.
- What should my expectations be during an installation job?
Here’s a list of things that you can expect from our company when we do installation projects:
- Contacting us will allow you to schedule a property check and planning for the service.
- We provide estimates for the planned unit to be installed including cost estimates for the whole installation project.
- We will send you a quote for your approval. Once approved the installation job will be scheduled which will be based on the most convenient time for you.
- Our team will inform ahead for your confirmation on the upcoming job.
- The payment will be made via an invoice which will be mailed to your address within seven (7) days. You can either pay in cash, check, or cash transfer.
- After the installation, we suggest that you get our yearly maintenance plan. Our rates are very affordable and we will remind you of scheduled maintenance dates as well.
- How do I relate the HP or horsepower term to the power capacity of my air-conditioning unit?
Many different variables determine the power output of an air-conditioner and HP or “horsepower” is one of them. Other factors such as size, airflow efficiency, and energy efficiency should also be considered.
- How do you describe a back-to-back installation?
This type of installation method will have the indoor unit installed back-to-back on the outdoor unit. It’s usually on one wall which means there will be less piping.
- What is the Energy Efficiency Rating found on my air-conditioning unit?
This is an industry standard that has been set by a governing institution which quantifies the energy efficiency of each model from all brands of air-conditioners. It allows customers to compare different units regarding their energy efficiency.Aside from the Energy Efficiency Rating (EER), there is also the Coefficient of Performance (COP) which is used in tandem to calculate the energy requirement of each unit regarding cooling and heating. Units with higher ratings and coefficients are generally the more efficient machines.